Thursday, February 14, 2019

Those Darn Terraforming Mars Expansions...


So I played Terraforming Mars again today — this time with the Colonies expansion, which I just purchased the other day. I'm starting to think that I just don't like the expansions (other than the extra playing boards). None of them are really worth it.

I *love* the extra project cards that they each add to the deck; those are fun. But the Prelude expansion just gives you a couple of extra things at the beginning of the game but they don't really go very far; Venus adds extra confusion and I already have enough to think about while I'm terraforming Mars; Colonies didn't really add anything interesting (it was expensive to add use the colonies, and really would just maybe bump up production on something by one, or give you a little extra money -- but it cost a lot to use it).

And I don't like the new solo rules because I liked playing the way that's printed on the darn boards! Anyone else out there feel the same way? Just wondering if I'm the only one missing something here. 🤔

I guess what I'm saying is, unless you have the luxury of having a great game group that gets together a lot and likes to play games like this over and over and over, then you really don't need the expansions. People say they speed up the game, but I haven't found that to be the case at all, and the base game is complex enough if you're only going to play it a couple of times a year.

Terraforming Mars is one of my favorite games and I really wanted to love these. But I can't in good conscience ever recommend them. I wish they would sell the project cards separately to people who don't want to buy the expansions.

No comments:

Post a Comment